Last week’s literary signpost bookfessional reminded me of my favorite question on the template questionnaire from the “welcome” thread in my buddy reading group on Goodreads: magical items found in books that I WANT.
You: What are you on about?
Me: You know, the group I co-moderate on Goodreads that facilitates reading books with online friends. I talk about it all the time . . . BB&B . . . Stands for “Buddies, Books, & Baubles.”
New group members are supposed to introduce themselves in a thread created for exactly that purpose. Sometimes it’s hard to come up with something to say beyond, “Umm . . . I like books,” so we created a default set of questions to get the ball rolling.
You: Huh. Good idea.
Me: Yes, I thought so too. *winks*
Anyway, one of the fill-in-the-blanks is for most coveted book items. Fun, right? I can’t take credit for it though—it wasn’t one of the original questions. Another group member (I have no idea who) included it in their response, and the other mods and I loved it so much that we edited our original posts to include it.
This is my list:
1. Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Just b/c I hate time travel in books doesn’t mean I don’t want to do it myself. #doasisaynotasido
Actually, I’m just gonna list ALL THE THINGS I want from Harry Potter’s world b/c there are many: sentient chess game, invisibility cloak, A WAND, Pigwidgeon (pictured below), CROOKSHANKS, the Weasley’s family clock, Hermione’s magicked bag that’s basically a bottomless pit, and the MARAUDER’S MAP.
That’s just off the top of my head.
2. Some of Andrea’s warhead arrows from Magic Bites. ALSO, power words.
3. Birgitte’s Silver Bow from The Eye of the World (I have a thing for bows. In a fantasy world, I’d totally be an archer).
4. Dina’s broom from Clean Sweep. B/c awesome. For those of you unfamiliar with the series, the broom can morph into any number of weapons that may be needed to defend the inn’s guests.
5. Kell’s coat from A Darker Shade of Magic. This coat is like Hagrid’s coat on steroids. Not only does it have limitless storage opportunities, it has (potentially) limitless style options—it can be turned inside out multiple times to produce a different styles of coat.
I think Kell has only discovered five different coats, but Lila found at least one other one that he’d never seen before.
6. Wishes from Daughter of Smoke & Bone. Yeah, teeth are kind of creepy, and I’m not a huge fan of how the wishes are acquired, but WISHES.
What about you? What magical items from your beloved books do you wish you could have in real life?
Gosh, I haven’t really given that question much thought…I fail. 🙂 I would like the invisible cloak from HP that would be fun. 🙂
Stormi Johnson recently posted…Monthly Report ~ February
Ohh i’d totally be an archer too 🙂
blodeuedd recently posted…A Mighty Dawn – Theodore Brun
I have seen the bag with endless storage space several places and I need it. Actually Luggage from Discworld would cover this just fine, besides having endless storage it can also follow a person anywhere in time or space and is a damn fine guard dog to boot.
Nathan recently posted…Fantasy Review: ‘The Obelisk Gate’ by N.K. Jemisin