Last summer, when I was getting current with one of my favorite urban fantasy series (InCryptid by Seanan McGuire), I got curious about roller derby. The youngest Price sibling played, you see, and it sounded like a good time. So I googled “roller derby” and “Chattanooga,” and low and behold, my city had its very own league.
On June 24, 2017 (thank you, instagram), bff and I went to our first bout, and less than halfway through the first (of two), bff leaned over and said, “I want to do this.”
And on February 10, 2018, less than a year later, I piled into a car with bff and two of her teammates to road trip to Spartanburg, SC for her first bout.
Who’s a proud mama bear?
I’m a proud mama bear.
In honor of this achievement, I wanted to create a post of the best book-inspired roller derby names (according to ME), but I underestimated just how many roller derby names are on the registry. It took about an hour to get through A, B, and C, and when I say that, I mean it took an hour PER letter.
SO. This is the first in a series of posts on the awesomeness of bookish derby names. And I’m not gonna lie, some of the non-book names are so great that I can’t bear to not mention them, so BONUS, you get those too.
10. Admiral Jackbar. It’s a trap!
9. Christine Die-A. If we’re being honest, I was all about the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera, but for now, his muse will have to suffice for derby name inspiration.
8. Asajj Skatetress, b/c as I mentioned in my review of Dark Disciple Asajj Ventress is one of the best new Star Wars characters introduced to in THE CLONE WARS.
7. Ava Kedavra, b/c the killing curse is as hardcore as it gets.
6. Big Dan Hero, b/c FIREFLY.
5. Chaotic Neutral, b/c that’s what I will always pick when creating D&D characters.
4. Cara Thrash, not to be confused with Cara Thrace, AKA Starbuck, AKA my favorite character on . . .
3. Battlescar Galactica, I mean Battlestar Galactica.
2. 1/2 Blood Princess, b/c duh, Harry Potter.
1. Beatrix Slaughter. It’s just awesome.
10. Biscuits ‘n Crazy.
9. A.riel Humdinger.
8. A Few Screws Lucy.
7. Babe Ruthless.
6. Betty Boom, #C4.
5. Cake or Death:
4. Bijou Blacnbleu.
3. Ask Me About Free Beer, #40oz.
2. Bea Aggresive.
1. Adamn Good Call. Best. Ref. EVER.
What about you? What’s your favorite roller derby name?