1. Best Book You Read In 2011?
I’m going to say Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. Coincidentally, this was also the longest book I read in 2011.
2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?
Fury by Elizabeth Miles. Between the hype, the awesome cover and the promising blurb; I really expected more out of this book. What an abysmal read! It may have single-handedly turned me off from reading YA.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?
Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill. I’ve never experienced such a jaw-dropping, heart-wrenching, cliffhanger of an ending. Surprising doesn’t quite cover it.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?
Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut. A fab debut by a fab new author.
5. Best series you discovered in 2011?
The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning and the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. I read the entire Fever series in 2011 in like a month. Yeah, it’s that good. I didn’t discover Mead’s series until later in the year but they’re amazing, especially the audio versions.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?
Linda Poitevin and Amanda Bonilla. I can’t wait to see what these two ladies have in store for 2012!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Acquainted with the Night by Piper Maitland. This one is more mystery/thriller than UF and has a very scientific approach to vampirism. It was different but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Blood Bound by Rachel Vincent. I love, love, LOVED this book!
9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
11. Most memorable character in 2011?
Elegance the black widow spider tattoo from Demon’s are a Girl’s Best Friend by Linda Wisdom. She’s only a side character and plays a very small role but I’m still thinking about her months after I finished reading the book.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?
Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. Her lyrical writing style is unmatched.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?
Danann Frost Embraces the Darkness by Joanne Valiukas. Incredibly moving story filled with double meanings.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?
Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. The biggest and most well known werewolf series out there and I’m just starting it now. Bad Carmel!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?
What the hell was that supposed to mean anyway? I’m yours. My what? My slave, my guardian angel, my own personal pain in the ass? –Amanda Bonilla, Shaedes of Gray
16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012?
Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost. The audio version is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I would totally listen to it again, and again!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Drink Deep by Chloe Neill. It was so tough writing my review and not giving away any spoilers!
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2011
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2011?
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2011?
I’ve written so many, it’s hard to choose but I guess I’ll go with: Darkness Unbound by Keri Arthur.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Probably during my Holiday Foreplay event. The authors asked tons of awesome questions and I loved reading everyone’s answers.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Probably Julie’s weekly question posts over at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The Smart Chicks Kick It Tour on October 3rd where I got to meet Kelley Armstrong and other Ottawa-area book bloggers.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2011?
When I co-hosted Midnight Summer Festival with 2 other book bloggers. It was my first “team” event.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
|Most Views:||Holiday Foreplay Giveaway||Canadian Book Bloggers|
|Most Comments:||Myth of Fenrir by M.D. Lachland & Giveaway||Follow Friday|
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My Rabid Bites feature that I discontinued due to lack of interest from followers.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Audio books and Audible.com‘s monthly membership.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I’d originally signed-up for a bunch of challenges but they proved to be a real pain in the butt to track so I quit everything except the GoodReads Challenge which I completed.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2011 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2012?
Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong so that I’ll be caught up in the series and ready to read the last book, Thirteen, when it comes out this summer.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2012?
Shadow Bound by Rachel Vincent; Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost; Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong; Summoning the Night by Jenn Bennett and Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2012?
Read more books!
About the Blogger
I review Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance books with a focus all things werewolf. Based out of Ottawa, Canada
I can’t believe you have not read The Mercy Thompson series yet.lol. I love it!! Can’t wait to see what you think about it.
I can’t wait for you to get through the Mercy Thompson series. It’s the series that turned me on to UF. Patricia Briggs is amazing! I loved the Georgina Kincaid Series as well. I read the entire series in 2011 and I thought it had a wonderful (and at sometimes heartbreaking) romance.
Thanks for the shout-out! I have to say, that’s one of my favorite quotes in SOG as well! That Tyler. Hehe.
1st – Thanks for the shout out. I’m glad I had the honor. I hope to keep you coming back!
2nd – MT series is really good.
3rd – Audio books and Audible.com ROCKS!
I was wondering where your Rabid Bites went. And I am so glad you enjoy the Question on my blog. That is my most popular post most weeks. I am in awe of your Holiday Foreplay event. All that work and it really payed off. It was awesome. 🙂
@Amber I @Awesomesauce – I know! Horrible, isn’t it!?
@Amanda Bonilla – Your quote has stuck with me since I finished Shaedes of Gray. 🙂
@Jennifer@The Book Nympho – Thanks for your 3-part answer. Hehe
@Julie – Aaww, thanks! I read-up on the author interviews you’re doing for Authors After Dark. C-R-A-Z-Y! GL!
Hey, Carmel! I really enjoyed reading your survey!! I have the Fever series on audiobook, but I haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet. I’m so glad to hear that you liked it so much! I just may have to bump it up in the queue 🙂
Here’s the link to my survey: http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-end-of-year-book-survey.html